Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Preoccupancy / Tyranny of Popularity

The preoccupancy of popularity is a title I've been working on for sometime and means a great deal to me as I have, 
for the past 6 years, never stopped thinking about it since my high school ''sentence'' (a little bit of humour for you).

I had this discussion with my father a while back about my total disgust regarding the ''popularity system'' at school. 
In my mind, ''popularity'' means the quality of being well-liked by ALL people, or rather SOME people, which is the case.

Popularity never really meant much to me, and although this might sound like a pitiful attempt to slander popularity, or 
rather, the small popular mass, it is not so.

I have no problem with it, I have a problem with what the small mass thinks is socially acceptable and what is not, and 
then they take it upon themselves to humiliate and intimidate in an attempt to solve the problem.

As you might have gather by now I was not a part of the popular mass, and I was picked on incessently in school. 
I sometimes thought to myself that I could inflict the same humiliation on them as they have done on me, but as 
I have grown a little bit older I cant help as to feel a great deal of sorrow for these people, How they can day after day
do dispicabele things to other who don't deserve it as part of being popular or even worse, as part of a ''joke''.

And it seems they become so taken by the ''responsibilities'' of being popular that another persons self worth gets 
lost in the process, and it always seemed to me that they feel they have the right to rob you of your individuality.

But who is to blame excactly??, Are they to blame??. In part yes they are to blame, but one only carries wisdom from
those beyond one's years, and I feel that teachers are to blame. My High School, which I will not name for legal reasons,
was guilty of this and I can explain it in a simple example:

The so-called distinguised, well mannered, ''men'' of honour rugby players can never ever seem to do harm in the 
teachers eyes, and why is this?? I was once put in a situation where jock publically humiliated hazed a friend of mine 
to the verge of tears and when It was reported to the teacher they just kept quiet about it. absolutely pathetic

I watched a show once with my sister, a typical ''suzi-high-school'' series...I just cant remember the name, but anyway
It also,centred around a normal guy that was harassed every day of his life at school until one day he jsut couldn't take
it anymore. He decided the one day he couldn't take it anymore and took a gun to school. As the story goes he kept his
class hostage. People where scared they pleaded with him to put the gun down let everyone go and then they'll talk 
about it. What came out of his mouth will stay with me forever

...he said...''you don't know what it's like, day after day, being cursed at, shrugged aside, beaten and verbally abused,
every day is a fight to survive, I am scared to death every single day of my life to get out of bed and face it all over again''

he said this and afterward pulled the trigger and killed himself...

Until this day I can cannot forget seeing this person so terrified to go to school that he took his own life to relieve the 
burden, and to the small masses everywhere in the world...if you are someone that belittles another for fun...you 
should feel disgusted with yourself

I sometimes feel that I am alone when I speak about this subject and it frightens me, are we so far gone that these 
things don't matter anymore...

...and you should ask yourself...does it matter to you?

16 comments:

  1. I learned that if you get bullied, don run and hide, join the bully and bully back, in that way you dont get bullied anymore, it worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think much of groups. Getting put in a box is lame, yet sadly we all are put in boxes and we all put others in boxes.

    Like one of my favourite songs stated, "they all got put into boxes and they all came out all the same". We are more alike than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and another thing. To all you bullys out there if any of you touch DieJaco i will personally find you and i will kill you. Take it as you like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a better idea, we can always make him bully proof!!

    Pimp my Jaco!!!!!!! Woop woop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you REALLY want to kill people go to my post on anger management.

    http://altprintscreen.blogspot.com/2009/01/anger-management.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'r rather read some more about Richard the Evil Warlock at www.lfgcomic.com/page1. Thats where the epic tale of evil begins

    ReplyDelete
  7. Juan...you have been going on about Richard all month...If you keep this up I might even go read it...MIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you read it, ill have to kill you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beware of the ninjas in your sock drawer!!!! They might kill you just for fun. Kee ya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey hey stop this now

    In your own words "jaco gaan 'n aap kak"

    hehehe
    P.S Thanks for the blackmail evidence

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is that a fact? Who is the bully now hey!!! Haven't you learned anything from Jaco's heartfelt post??

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahaha your playing the sad card on me. Did u forget i have no feelings lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, correction, you don't have a heart, which concludes that you do not have a life.

    In fact you go to week long LANs and you are friends with Jaco and I...you must be really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hehehe u got me there guilty as sin, but i love you guys so much. Id throught away my rather dull social life and just lan with u after its more fun in a certain sad sadistic kind of way

    ReplyDelete
  15. guys please

    ...stop the petty bickering.
    Rather comment on the post. It is something I hold close to my heart and I would hope that you would show some sensitivity please...

    thank you

    ReplyDelete