Monday, August 17, 2009

Phobias - The Scary Truth



A phobia (from the Greek: φόβος, phóbos, fear or morbid fear), is an irrational, intense, persistent fear of certain situations, activities, things, or people.

The main symptom of this disorder is the excessive, unreasonable desire to avoid the feared subject. When the fear is beyond one's control, and if the fear is interfering with daily life, then a diagnosis under one of the anxiety disorders can be made.

We all have or have had fears at some stage in our life. Looking at the list of common phobias that are found among children, I know I could associate with quite a few of them.

Looking at a list of phobias, I found quite a few interesting ones that I didn't know exist.
  • Anablephobia- Fear of looking up. Imagine the stiff neck.
  • Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia- Fear of the number 666. That is quite a mouth full.
  • Judeophobia- Fear of Jews. Heil Hitler!
  • Nyctophobia- Fear of the dark or of night. Iron maiden was preaching the truth.
  • Papaphobia- Fear of the Pope. Who is your daddy?
  • Phobophobia- Fear of phobias.
  • Proctophobia- Fear of rectums. Ughm...
  • Scolionophobia- Fear of school. I think I had this one.
  • Syngenesophobia- Fear of relatives. I definitely have this one!
M

No comments:

Post a Comment